Air Gun Law

Air Gun Laws

Who Can Shoot?

18 years or above

If you are 18 years or older there are no restrictions on buying an air rifle and ammunition, and you can use it wherever you have permission to shoot.

14 to 17 years

You are able to borrow an air rifle and ammunition which can be used, without supervision, on private premises where you have permission.

You cannot purchase or hire an air rifle, or ammunition, or receive one as a gift. Your air rifle and ammunition must be bought and looked after by someone over the age of 18.
You are also not permitted to have an air rifle in a public place unless you are supervised by somebody aged 21 or over, and you have a reasonable excuse to do so (for example, while on the way to a shooting ground).

Under 14 years

You can use an air rifle under supervision on private premises with permission from the occupier. Your superviser must be at least 21 years old.

You are not permitted to buy, hire or receive an air rifle or its ammunition as a gift, or shoot, without adult supervision. Parents or guardians who buy an air rifle for use by someone under 14 must exercise control over it at all times, even in the home or garden.

It is illegal to sell an air rifle or ammunition to a person under 18 years of age.

Where you can shoot?

You can shoot in places where you have been authorised by the landowner or person with the sporting rights and that you know precisely where the boundaries are. Get permission in writing, if possible, to remove any doubt.

Whenever you are in a public place your rifle should be in a gun cover, unloaded and not cocked.

It is a criminal offence to fire an air rifle / pistol pellet beyond the land where you have permission to shoot, unless the person holding the shooting rights of the neighbouring land has given you permission. Where someone under 14 is shooting, both the young person and the supervising adult can be prosecuted.

Air Rifle Power

Generally the ideal power level is just over 11 ft lb (15J). For an air rifle that is more powerful than 12 ft lb, (16.25J) you must have a firearm certificate.

Purchasing a firearm

Ron Daley Air Guns is a Registered Firearms Dealers (RFD), this is a legal requirement for all shops selling firearms. These can only be collected direct from the shop when purchased, or transferred to another RFD. This restriction only applies to airguns and silencers, not to scopes, mounts or any of the huge range of airgun related accessories available from Ron Daley's.